Sunday, January 30, 2011

Leaders who inspire me (part 2) Bakerman


Part 2 of my final. This next person who has inspired me I've known for a little over 7 years. I do not know his full story like I know my mom's but I sure know what he's taught me from his life. Correct me if I'm wrong Bakerman. This is from my perspective and what I remember:


Aaron Baker was my youth pastor when I was a teenager and is still part of my life today. Aaron was in the Navy when I first met him. During that time he met a girl from church, Rachael, they fell in love and got married. While in the Navy, he went to school to learn how to be a teacher/trainer in what he did in the Navy, helicopter engineer or something like that. He started a family and a ministry in church.

As a youth leader he encouraged us to serve and he led by example. He and Rachael used to clean the whole 3 story church building. He worked full-time, was a student part time, was a youth pastor, a husband and new father. Somewhere in his busy life he managed to have time for us, the teenagers. He cared and shared his knowledge and wisdom with us.

Still to this day he has managed to lead teenagers by example. Currently he and his wife lead a worship and creative arts program at church where they encourage youth to participate and explore music and arts. His life has taught me that a leader is a servant to all.

He has taught me that life may be tough in some seasons, but it always gets better if you keep going. To lead people and teach people to be their best and to do that you have to be your best too… be the example they might not have.

Aaron’s pursuit for excellence inspires me to never sell myself short of doing my best in everything, even the little things and when no one is looking. He was a youth pastor, worked full time, studied part time, cleaned a church building, was a new husband and new dad, and still had time for us, the teenagers. And in all these things he did, I never saw him do anything less than his best.

I have learned to pursue excellence, anything less than that would be cheating myself, and others. This is something I'm still practicing and learning and applying.... it's not easy, but when you have a good example in your life to keep you motivated, makes it easier.

I want to be a good example! Thanks Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment